- About Us
- Contact Us
Mathematics courses may be divided roughly into two categories - pure and applied. But in fact many span both of these categories. The list below is perhaps best described as one of emphasis rather than categorization. The notation S means the course is (normally) offered every Spring; F means it is offered in the Fall; and Su means it has been recently offered in the Summer.
Basic Courses: preparation for advanced study for all students
- 2233, Differential Equations (F, S, Su)
- 3013, Linear Algebra (F, S, Su)
- 3263, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (S) (specifically designed for industrial engineers; no credit for those with credit in 2233 or 3013)
Applied Mathematics Courses: helpful for engineers and others seeking courses to assist in using mathematics to solve applied problems.
- 4013, Vector Calculus (F, S, Su)
- 4233, Intermediate Differential Equations (F, Su)
- 4263, Introduction to Partial Differential Equations (S, Su)
- 4283, Complex Variables (F)
- 4453, Mathematical Interest Theory (S, Su)
- 4513, Numerical Analysis (F)
- 4553, Linear and Non-linear Programming (S)
- 4583, Introduction to Mathematical Modeling (F)
Pure Mathematics Courses: developing the student's ability to read and write proofs; emphasizing logic and rigorous reasoning, problem solving, and pattern recognition; important foundational courses for graduate study in mathematics.
- 3613, Introduction to Modern Algebra (F, S)
- 4023, Introduction to Modern Analysis (F, S, Su)
- 4033, History of Mathematics (S)
- 4343, Introduction to Topology (S)
- 4403, Geometry (F)
- 4663, Combinatorial Mathematics (S)
- 4713, Number Theory (F)
- 4813, Groups and Representations (S)
- 4950, Problem Solving Seminar (F)
Advanced Undergraduate/Graduate Courses Carrying Automatic Honors Credit: these are our most advanced and rigorous undergraduate courses; 3 hours from this list is required for students wishing to earn Departmental Honors.
- 4063, Advanced Linear Algebra (F), same as 5023
- 4143, Advanced Calculus I (F), same as 5043
- 4153, Advanced Calculus II (S), same as 5053
- 4613, Modern Algebra I (F), same as 5003
- 4623, Modern Algebra II (S), same as 5013